Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Items I keep on hand

Here is a list of items I keep on hand for cooking and use frequently:
(I will get into a list of Super Foods I use in another post)

  • Bragg's Liquid Aminos (Use as you would Soy Sauce, lower in sodium and natural)
  • Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (There is a whole book written about the benefits of this, good for digestion)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Mustard, either Dijon or Brown
  • Rice Vinegar
  • Canned beans, variety (for convenience, although I like to cook my own in a crock pot with a little seaweed to make digestion easier)
  • Canned tomatoes
  • Dulse- I use this instead of salt to season with.  It comes in a shaker and is granulated (excellent source of iodine)
  • Cholula sauce
  • Sri Racha sauce (I like spicy)
  • Horseradish (fresh ground, not creamy)
  • Worschester sauce
  • Spices- cumin, chili powder, curry, turmeric, garan masala, cinnamon, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (I love to get these in the bulk section at Health Food stores so I can get smaller amounts)
  • Peanut Butter- all natural, no added salt, oil or sugar
  • Chopped dates- I use these for a natural sweetener.  They can be soaked and blended into recipes. (found in the bulk section at Health Food stores)
  • Lentils, dried
  • Quinoa
  • Split green peas, green and yellow
  • Brown rice
  • Beans, dried
  • Nutritional Yeast powder (high in B vitamins, can be used in place of parmesan cheese, some people sprinkle on top of popcorn)
  • Frozen Blueberries and mixed berries
  • Nuts in the freezer (cashews can be soaked and blended into a cream sauce)

That's the basics, the rest is fresh produce, lot's of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment